Saturday, September 8, 2012

Week 1 picks

It's that time again for me to start doing picks for the week. I don't know my overall record for sure, but last I saw, it was 14-4 after starting to do it in Week 7 I believe. But anyways, since I don't have cable and don't care for the preseason, I don't know how good players are this year for the most part. So I will just be going off of how they played last year and from what I did heard from ESPN and NFL.com. So without further ado, let's begin with the first set of picks for Week 1 of the 2012 season.

Game of the Week
The TRONS II vs. Superduperstars

Usually I go off of a team's record and the performance of their players to determine the game of the week but since we haven't seen what each team has to fully offer, I really can't do that. But choosing this week's game of the week was easy. I chose them because of the great rivalry between these two. If I remember correctly, when these two face each other, Taylor is undefeated in the regular season while Kevin is undefeated in the post season. Will Kevin finally get a regular season win against Taylor or will he just troll and upset Taylor later in the playoffs or when Taylor needs a win? 

The TRONS II
Both players had one player each play in the Dallas/NY game Wednesday so they already have some points up. Homo put up some good points (big surprise for me) for the new and improved TRONS. A big plus that I see for this team is Brandon Lloyd. A player of his caliber is always a dangerous weapon for a team and with a QB like Brady, he should rack up some points for Taylor. Too bad it's not the great Drew Brees or Eli(te) Manning throwing him the ball. A setback that I possibly see is Chris Johnson. I feel like if Taylor gets good points from him it'll be because of a bad play on the defense. After last season, I feel like he's a hit or miss for whether or not he puts up good points or not. And I think this game will be a miss. One player you have to look out for is Ronnie Brown. Mathews is out with an injury, making him the starter, and he has a pretty favorable match up against the Raiders.

Superduperstars
Austin did some good work last Wednesday for his team that are not just superstar, but superduperstars. Philip Rivers, watch out for this guy. I read that he is 5-1 against the Raiders with a QB rating or 102.2. Not only that, but he has a healthy Antonio Gates which usually means great success for Rivers. And then there's Arian Foster. He's questionable but they say he'll be starting. Foster will do what Foster does and just score points for Kevin. I don't think his knee will slow him down much unless a defensive player hits his knee hard enough. I'm kind of on the fence with the Packers defense. They did have one of the worst pass defenses in the league last year but they did make key plays when they really needed it. Alex Smith is a good QB but doesn't have that great of receivers even though they did get Manningham. If the Packers defense can put enough pressure on him, I think they will do well.

Final Decision
I felt like both teams were evenly matched but I think Kevin will finally get that regular season win against Taylor. And the player that gives Kevin the edge over Taylor is Kevin.........Smith, that is. Best is out and Leshoure is suspended so he basically is getting all of the carries and is the feature back for the Lions.

Las Tortugas Bombardero vs Eleven's Redemption

Las Tortugas Bombardero
Las Tortugas Bombardero looks to start of the season strong as he did last year. Once again, both teams had players play this past Wednesday with Eli starting for the Bomber Turtles. He put ok numbers but could've done better. Johnson and Forte are going to be the top two players for the turtles since Miami won't be able to shut Johnson down completely and Forte was the Bear's offense for the mos part last season and I don't see why they won't continue to use him as they have been before. One player to keep an eye is Reggie Wayne. Just like Steve Smith was last year by Cam Newton, he has been revived and his value went up because of Andrew Luck. For most of the preseason, he was Luck's favortie target. But with that being said, facing a defense like the Bears is going to be a test for the rookie QB. If that defense is all in his face and gets hits on him, Wayne may not be much help to the turtles.

Eleven's Redemption
After setting the record for the worst record in SNFL history, Garrick is looking to get redemption I guess and show the league that he is worthy of winning the PWC Bowl this year. Bradshaw had a pretty good game while Bryant could've done better (I have high expectations for players, by the way). The biggest plus I see for Garrick is Matthew Stafford playing the Rams. He pretty much is going to have a field day on them. I currently don't see a kicker on his team period so that's hurtful to him and I want to say that he played a game last year without one, I don't remember. Thomas is a good weapon to have now that the Broncos have Peyton and he loves to spread the ball, especially to Decker and Thomas. With that being said, there could be the possible Saints effect with the two of them. Doubt it but seeing as Peyton already spreads the ball out, usually when he has success with a player, he tends to go to the receiver more often. If he does it with Decker, that just hurts the production of Thomas.

Final Decision
In the end, I fill like the Bomber Turtles will pull out the win. I feel like the Turtles have more talent and we actually have a kicker ready to go. Looks like Garrick is going to have to begin redeeming himself next week.

The Lance Armstrongs vs. Blue's Kluwes

The Lance Armstrongs
If he doesn't try, then Ian could possibly win it all since when he doesn't try he seems to have more success. But whether or not he is trying, I will still analyze his team for the picks. He already had his kicker go who did well for his position last Wednesday. The key players on his team are Ray Rice and Michael Turner. Out of everyone in his line up, they seem like they are going to be the workhorse for his team this week even though Bengals do have a pretty good defense. He does have Mike Wallace but I'm not sure how good the Broncos defense is. Is Champ Bailey still in the NFL? I seriously don't know. Anyways, Frank Gore is a dicey call in my opinion since he has like 2 or 3 other good RB's to share the ball with. And the player I feel like is a sleeper for this week is Kyle Rudolph. He is the #2 guy for Christian Ponder behind Harvin and I'm pretty sure last season the Jags gave up the most points to opposing TEs. Or it might be the other way around. Either way, he's still my sleeper on this team.

Blue's Kluwes
Just saw he has the greatest QB of all time on his team. Not Brady but the great Drew Brees! And he's going against Washington? That sounds like success to me. Julio Jones against the Chiefs is also a great match up for him. Not to mention a healthy Antonio Gates going against the Raiders. I think Fred Jackson is a good RB but I don't think he'll do well against that Jets defense. But he will still do good. And at the flex position is going to be a huge impact. Deangelo Williams is going to be getting the bulk of the carries due to Stewart being out against a sorry Bucs defense. 

Final Decision
Do I really need to say who I think is going to win this? I obviously know that Jonathan will win his first game of the season.

The Amazing Core Protection vs. Q

The Amazing Core Protection
So this team is amazing now? I won't believe that until I see some proof of that. Winning your first game of the season is a start. Let's see how this team matches up this week. Tom Brady and Nate Washington are the two top players that I see. We all know what Brady can do and know how talented he is (though not nearly as talented as Brees, greatest QB of all time). And with Britt suspended one game and going against a poor Pats defense, Washington will have some success. Jamaal Charles is a player to watch for. He's coming back from missing last season for tearing his ACL. So coming back from that he may not be up to the level he was two seasons ago but at the same time, he may just come in as if nothing happened.

Q
Well John is already in a hole with negative points due to a poor performance from rookie David Wilson. That sucks since that is almost the same as just not starting a player. So in a sense, he's playing with only 8 players. Hopefully his team can make up for that and carry him to a win. Let's see....ok there's Aaron Rodgers, we all know what he can do. I think I heard the Seahawks defense is better this year. Plus, they are going up against the Cards. Green-Ellis against the Ravens? Stevie Johnson against Darrelle Revis with a groin injury? The Ravens defense is typically good for stopping the run so dicey call there. And I read that Johnson did pretty good against Revis the last two games but Revis is 100%, Johnson isn't. He usually does a lot of cuts but that would be hard to do with a groin injury. So that's also a dicey call right there. Coby Fleener is a player to keep an eye on. 

Final Decision
There are more negatives than positives for John this week so definitely a win for Fred.

Carnegie PantyRaiders vs. The Ox

Carnegie PantyRaiders
Well both players had a WR from the Giants already play so they have some points up on the board but Ryan has the upper hand, I guess, for now. Key players I see for Jaime are Newton, V. Jackson, and Gonzalez. Cam  and Vincent are both going against each other, with both teams not having good defenses. We all know the magic that Cam Newton can make and Freeman and Jackson were both making good connections with one another in the preseason and he is definitely Freeman's top target. Gonzalez has always been a reliable TE in the past years though I feel like his production does go down every year since his prime days are behind him now. I like Reggie Bush but I'm not feeling the match up against the Texans. He is a key part to the Miami offense so that's a plus for him. And Meachum hasn't been much of an impact in the preseason, already is competing with Malcolm Floyd who already has a good bond with Rivers, and then you also have Antonio Gates, who is one of Rivers favorite targets.

The Ox
He has Ryan going against the Chiefs, McCoy against the Browns, Welker against the Titans, and Pettigrew against the Rams.....that sounds like ballin match ups to me. Ryan is good and should do well against the Chiefs, McCoy seems to get at least 15 points every week, Welker is just a tricky guy to cover, and I don't need to say much about Pettigrew's match up. I was going to include Steven Jackson but I feel like he will only have success if he can get past that Lions D-line; so I have him as a player to keep an eye on.

Final Decision
Ryan definitely has the better match ups from what I can see. This is also an easy call for me: Ryan gets the win.

EL GRANDE THE TACO KING vs. El Champion

EL GRANDE THE TACO KING
I understand why you capitalize you team name. Are you yelling it at us? Or are you trying to emphasize how bad your team is? If I had hurt your feelings with that one, then suck it up. No room for emotions in the SNFL. Or is it capitalized because that's one big acronym? Just tell me later. So far, Murray put up a pretty good performance but not good enough to cover for your RB2. But I will say that you do have some good match ups this week. Vick against the Browns, done. Marshall against the Colts, done. Malcolm Floyd against the Raiders, already done. I'm trying to figure out what the best lineup would be for you since you have an empty spot. You're pretty much screwed with the WR position. And you would have to wait until Sunday to see if you can start the back up RB for Seattle, Turbin. 

El Champion
I know you're the sumo champ back in Japan and all but no one cares about that so I think you should just change your name. Moving on, I'm definitely liking Calvin Johnson against the Rams, no need to explain why there. Hernandez is always a reliable target for the not-as-good-as-Drew-Brees Tom Brady. The Fitz is always reliable too and going against the Seahawks will prove to be an advantage for him. And Doug Martin getting the start over Legarette Blount against the Panthers is a plus too. The only player I'm worried about is Beanie Wells since apparently Seattle does have a tough defense. I still think Fitz is going to have a good game.

Final Decision
Steven has the upper hand in this game mainly because of Daniel's RB and WR situation. So in advance, congrats on getting your first win on your own in the SNFL. It was beginner's luck.

I remember the last record I had after predictions was 14-4 for 3 weeks; not too bad if you ask me
Good luck to you all and may the Fabs be with you all.....except Garrick. I hope all your players get injured.

-Quah


No comments:

Post a Comment